Questions to Ask a Doula
For any Doula:
- What training have you had? (If a doula is certified, you might consider checking with the organization to verify)
- Do you have one or more back-up doulas for times when you are not available? May we meet with the back-up doula?
- What is your fee? What does it include? What are your refund policies?
Note: You may want to interview more than one doula to find the right one for you.
When interviewing a Birth Doula:
- Tell me/us your childbirth philosophy and your philosophy around supporting me/us through childbirth?
- May we call you with questions or concerns before and after the birth?
- When do you try to join women in labour? Do you come to our home or meet us at the place of birth?
- Do you meet with me/us after the birth to review the labour and answer questions?
When interviewing a Postpartum Doula:
- Tell me your experience as a postpartum doula.
- What is your philosophy about parenting and supporting women and their families during the postpartum period?
- May we meet to discuss our needs and the role you will play?
- What different types of services do you offer?
- When do your services begin postpartum?
- What is your experience in breastfeeding support?
- Do you have current CPR and Food Safe certifications?